Sunday, October 18, 2009

The man in my life

I have the greatest man (besides my daddy of course) in my life. We are getting married June 12, 2010. Brock has been my support through my rough journey, and he has never once complained about having to help me.

I met him October of 2006, and we were exclusive from the very beginning. I got my diagnosis about 6 months later, and he never once got the urge to leave, or run scared because of what was to come.


Because of my daily headaches and muscle weakness, I've been limited to my activities. When moving in to college and moving out I would want to carry my stuff and he would never let me. He carried my stuff out of the dorms and his stuff and never complained about it. He's very considerate and although he doesn't know what I go through everyday, he tries to understand and make sure I'm as comfortable as possible. He asks me how i'm feeling probably about 2-3 times a day...and when he asks he really wants to know the truth, where there are those people who ask how you are doing and really just want a two word answer. They want to feel good that they asked but they really don't want to know the details. You know who these people are.




At the time of my surgery, my fiance was playing football at college and was very busy with practice and school. My surgery was on a Thursday, and the night before he came and stayed the night at my house with my family (I had taken the semester of school because I wasn't sure what to expect with recovery) and we left early the next morning. His football coach didn't have a problem letting him miss practice, and I don't think it bothered Brock either. I had surgery at about 10:15 am, and my family hung out in the waiting room and tried to relax. I had gotten a little red bear from Brock for Valentine's day, and he brought that along and held her during my surgery. He even took a picture of himself holding her in the waiting room.


When my family was finally able to see me after surgery, I was sooooo thirsty and Brock fed me ice chips with a spoon for the longest time. Whenever he came in to see me he'd hold my hand, feed me ice chips, or just talk sweetly to me. Everytime he left he'd kiss my hand.


He left Friday afternoon, and headed to school for practice. He had a football game the next day, and came back up the day after with his parents and sister. They all visited, and thank goodness it wasn't any sooner because Saturday I was finally coherent enough and feeling better that I was able to talk and enjoy the visitors. He stayed the night with me (my mom stayed with me the entire time) and then left again Sunday night. Brock let my parents go out to eat and get some time away from the hospital which I know my mom was really needing.



I came home Monday afternoon, and Brock stayed on the couch next to me for the next 2 weeks. He'd get up and leave early in the morning, around 7:00am for classes. He'd go to class, do homework, go to football practice, and then get back home around 7:15pm and would eat dinner with us and keep my company. My medicine was stored upstairs because my little brother was 4 and we didn't want him to get into them. In the middle of the night, Brock would go upstairs and get my medicine for me...no questions asked. I knew he was the one at that point. Seeing how dedicated he was to me, and unwavering was the security that I needed. I've never been so sure that I'm making the right decision by committing to him for life, I couldn't be happier.

This is one of our engagement pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment